Elazığ İli İngilizce tanıtımı
Elazığ (Armenian: Խարբերդ, EA: Kharberd, WA: Kharpert, also Kharput or Harput, Kurdish: Elezîz or Xarpêt) is a city in the Elazığ Province of eastern Turkey and the seat of the province. It has a population of 266,495 (2000 census). The city is 1067 meters above sea level. It occupies the location of what the Turkish, Zaza and Kurdish-speaking inhabitants of the region called Mezre or Mezra, meaning simply "a hamlet" in both Turkish and Kurdish
Contemporary Elazığ was initially an extension to the historic city of Harput, anciently known as Arsamosata, which was situated on a hill and difficult to access in winter. Under the reign of Mahmud II, the governor Reşid Mehmed Pasha started the expansion of Mezre, which lay on the plains a short distance from Harput. During the reign of Sultan Abdülazîz, military barracks, a hospital and a governor's mansion were built to accommodate the seat of a new vilâyet (province).
The city was named "Mamûret'ül-Azîz" (معمورة العزيز, made prosperous by Aziz in Ottoman Turkish) in 1866 on the occasion of the fifth anniversary of enthronement of the Ottoman Sultan Abdülaziz although he was not the initial founder. The city was known many years as "Elâzîz" due to its ease of pronunciation until November 17, 1937, when President Mustafa Kemal Atatürk changed the name of the city to "Elazık" (the city of food). However, since it was hard to pronounce this word in Turkish, on December 10, 1937 the government changed the city's name to its final form, "Elazığ".
The area near Elazığ has been settled for centuries. An ancient town and citadel called Kharput (Kharpert) which means "rocky fortress," was built by the first Armenian kings about three miles from modern Elazığ. However, there is very little written about this city. While Harput is still settled today, due to its high elevation and lack of water, it is slowly abandoned, with most residents moving to Elazığ. The two cities are in constant communication and Harput still has about 30,000 inhabitants.
Harput probably stands on or near the site of Carcathio-certa in Sophene, reached by Corbulo in A.D. 65. The early Muslim geographers knew it as Hisn Ziyad, but the Armenian name was Khartabirt or Kharbirt, whence Kharput and Harput.
William of Tyre wrote that Joscelin i, Count of Edessa (Jocelyn) of Courtenay, and King Baldwin II of Jerusalem were prisoners of the Amir Balak in Kharput's castle and that they were rescued by their Armenian allies. William of Tyre calls the place Quart Piert or Pierre.
Contemporary Elazığ was founded and became the provincial seat in 1834. The Mart Maryam Church (Syriac Orthodox) in Harput, Turkey --the first church in Harput-- was built in 179 A.D, and was attended by Christians who considered themselves Syriacs, distinct from the Armenians of Harput.
An Armenian Catholic diocese of Kharput was created in 1850.
The vilâyet of Mamûret'ül-Azîz was founded in 1878 comprising three districts of Diyarbakır province. It has much mineral wealth, a healthy climate and a fertile soil.
Harput was an important station of the American missionaries for many years. The missionaries built the Euphrates College, a theological seminary, and boys' and girls' schools. In November 1895, Kurds massacred, looted and burned the Armenian villages on the plain; and in the same month Kharput was attacked and the American schools were burned down. A large number of the Gregorian and Protestant Armenian clergy and people were massacred, and churches, monasteries and houses were looted. During the Armenian Genocide, the pupils at the Euphrates College were wiped out with most of them being taken to "death, exile or Muslim homes." In the pre-1970s Armenian-American community, more people were born in or traced their ancestry to Elazığ than any other area of Turkey. This Elazığ-America connection was possibly helped by the presence of the many American missionaries.
Elazığ today is the capital of the Elazığ province, a bustling city with a university and an industrial base, although historic monuments are understandably scarce. The exception is of course the ancient Harput citadel and town, a dependency of the greater municipality of Elazığ today situated three miles to the north of the city center. The population of Elazığ is a mixture of Turks, Kurds and Azeris.
Geography and climate
Elazığ is situated on the northwest corner of a 30-mile-long valley, known locally as Uluova (literally the Great Valley). The Armenians called this valley "Vosgetashd" which means "Golden Plain." Its altitude is 3,300 feet: latitude and longitude are respectively: 38 degrees and 41 minutes North, and 39 degrees and 14 minutes East. Elazığ Province is surrounded by the Euphrates in the north, and since the completion of Keban Dam the rivers came to cover almost ten percent of the surface area (826 km²) of the province (8,455 km²). Elazığ's adjacent province borders are with: Tunceli (North), Erzincan (North-West), Bingöl (East), Diyarbakır (South), and Malatya (West).
The main product of the area is wine and other agricultural products, and Elazığ serves as a market center. The state run vineyards of Elazığ is notable for its production of Buzbağ, a full flavor red wine
Mehmet Ağar — DYP leader.
Shahan Natalie — (1884-1983), an Armenian writer and principal organizer of Operation Nemesis
Nerses IV — (1098-1173), Armenian church leader, theologian and writer
Tlgadintzi (Hovhannes Haroutiunian) - (d. 1915) Armenian writer.
Rupen Zartarian - (d. 1915) Armenian writer, student of Tlgadintzi.
Stephen P. Mugar - Armenian-American businessman and entrepreneur.
Edmund Yaghjian - Armenian-American painter.
Vahe Haig - Armenian writer, student of Tlgadintzi. (U.S.)
Hamastegh - Armenian writer, student of Tlgadintzi. (U.S.)
Vahan Totovents - Armenian writer, student of Tlgadintzi. (Soviet Armenia)
Peniamin Nourigian - Armenian writer, student of Tlgadintzi. (U.S.)
Hrach Zartarian - Armenian writer, son of Rupen Zartarian. (France)
Hrach Yervant (Nishan Yacoubian) - first chairman of Armenian Democratic Liberal Party (Ramgavar)
J. Michael Hagopian - Armenian-American documentary filmmaker
Dursun Karataş- founder and leader of the Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front (DHKP-C)
Namık Kemal Yolga — Turkish diplomat and statesman.
Necati Şaşmaz — Star of the "Valley of the Wolves" TV series and of 2006 movie "Valley of the Wolves Iraq" based on the Hood event.
Erkan Oğur — Turkish musician.
Fırat Üniversitesi (University of Euphrates)
Harput Kalesi (Harput Castle)
Buzluk Mağarası (Buzluk Cave)
Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography
Hazar Gölü (Lake Hazar)
Historic Mosques (Cami in Turkish) and Shrines (Türbe in Turkish)
Ulu Camii: Built by Artuklu Sultan Fahrettin Karaaslan in 1156. It is one of the oldest and important structures in Anatolia
Sarahatun Camii (also known as Sarayhatun Cami): Built by Sara Hatun, mother of Akkoyunlu Sultan Bahadır Han (also known as Uzun Hasan), in 1465 as a small mosque. It was renovated in 1585 and 1843.
Kurşunlu Camii: Built between 1738 and 1739 in Harput during the Ottoman era.
Ağa Camii: Built in 1559.
Arap Baba Mescidi ve Türbesi: Built during the reign of Seljuks Sultan Gıyaseddin Keyhüsrev III (Son of Kılıçarslan IV) in 1279. The shrine contains a mummified body which is known as Arap Baba among commons.
Fetih Ahmet Baba Türbesi (Shrine of Fetih Ahmed)
Mansur Baba Türbesi