* 3 long (Italian) eggplants or 6 small ones
* 1/4 cup pigniola nuts
* 1 1/2 cups medium grain rice
* 1/2 cup currants, washed and stems removed
* 1 1/2 cups water
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 3 large onions, finely chopped
* 1 teaspoon black pepper
* 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped, 1 extra tomato to top the stuffed eggplants
* 1 ½ teaspoons salt (or salt to taste)
* 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill (or 2 teaspoons dried dill weed)
* 2 teaspoons sugar
* 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint (or 2 teaspoons dried spearmint)
* 1/2 cup olive oil.
* 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Cut the tops and if the eggplants are long enough cut them into halves. Core each cup carefully without tearing the edges. Puts olive oil in a pot, add chopped onions and nuts. When the onions are transparent and nuts golden, add the two chopped tomatoes. Stir gently until the tomatoes wilt. Add rice and all the rest of the ingredients Stir five minutes. Add 1 cup of water. Lower heat and simmer for ten minutes. Remove rice mixture to a bowl and let cool.Spoon this mixture in the eggplant until they are filled, but not packed tight. Cut the fourth tomato into six wedges and place firmly one wedge on top of each eggplant. Replace the eggplants in the pot. Add the remaining two cups of water. Cover and simmer for twenty-five minutes.
Serve at room temperature.