Arnavut Cigeri - Meat - Poultry
* 2 sm Onion, peeled, sliced 1/8 inch thick and separated into rings
* 3/4 cup Olive oil
* 1 tbl Salt
* Black pepper, freshly ground
* 1/4 tsp Salt
* 2 x Red Peppers, long, Italian type, cut in half, deribbed seeded, and cut lengthwise into 1/8 inch wide strips
* 1/4 cup Parsley, finely chopped and preferably flat leaf
* 1/4 tsp Hot red pepper, crushed
* 1 lb Lamb's liver, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes, or 1 lb. calf's liver, trimmed and cubed
* 1/4 cup Raki, or ouzo or pernod or any other anise flavored aperitif
* 1/4 cup Flour
· Place the onion rings in a sieve or colander, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the salt, and turn them about with a spoon to coat them evenly. Let them rest at room temperature for 30 minutes, then rinse under warm running water and squeeze them gently but completely dry. In a large bowl, toss the onions, parsley and red pepper together until well mixed. Set aside.
· Drop the liver into a bowl, pour in the raki and stir together for a few seconds. Then pour off the raki. Toss the liver and flour together in another bowl, place the liver in a sieve and shake through all the excess flour. In a heavy 10 to 12 inch skillet, heat the oil over high heat until a light haze forms above it. Add the liver and stir it about in the hot oil for 1 or 2 minutes, or until the cubes are lightly browned. Stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a few grindings of pepper. With a slotted spoon, transfer the liver to paper towels to drain.
· Mound the liver in the center of a heated platter, arrange the onion-ring mixture and red pepper strips around it and serve at once.